One of President Bola Tinubu’s ministerial nominees, Bosun Tijani, has apologized to the Senate for his past tweets. During his ministerial screening on Saturday, Tijani addressed the Senate and expressed regret for his tweets from four years ago.
In his statement before the Senate, Tijani acknowledged that his tweets were made out of frustration, and he deeply regrets his past remarks. He respectfully apologized to the distinguished senators, expressing remorse for going too far in his criticism.
He said, “Distinguished senators, please accept my apology if I went too far. I’m absolutely sorry for everything I said.”
The controversy arose when Tijani’s tweets, which had previously criticized President Tinubu, resurfaced on social media following his inclusion in the ministerial list. The tweets were directed at specific individuals and contained critical remarks about the serving power and narratives associated with Tinubu.
In his tweets, while replying to #Babajiide #busanga and #iaboyeji on July 23, 2019, Tijani said, “It is becoming the norm. Tinubu fed them that rubbish narrative with his ‘serving power a la carte’ wisdom. Go invest your time and money into your business if you want to propagate such a rubbish narrative.”
However, during the screening process, Tijani took responsibility for his previous statements and assured the Senate that he has since learned from the experience. He expressed his commitment to serving the nation diligently if given the opportunity as a minister.
The Senate president, Godswill Akpabio, accepted his apology unbehalf of the Senate.