President Bola Tinubu has renamed several federal airports after notable individuals in Nigeria. The renaming of these airports was officially announced through a memorandum issued by the Federal Ministry of Aviation on June 1, 2023. The memo, signed by Mrs. Joke Olatunji on behalf of the Director of Airport Operations, revealed the new names in line with the ongoing reforms in the Aviation sector.
Under this new directive, the airports have been given names that pay tribute to respected figures. The Maiduguri Airport now bears the name of former President Muhammadu Buhari, while the Port Harcourt Airport has been renamed in honor of the late nationalist Obafemi Awolowo. Additionally, the Nasarawa Airport has been immortalized with the name of Usman Dan Fodio, the esteemed founder of the Sokoto Caliphate.
Further changes include the Benin Airport, now named after the late Oba of Benin, Oba Akenzua II; the Ebonyi Airport, renamed after the late Senate President Chuba Okadigbo; and the Ibadan Airport, now dedicated to the memory of the late Premier of the old Western Region, Ladoke Akintola.
Please find below the comprehensive list of the renamed airports:
- Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu – Akure Airport
- Oba Akenzua II – Benin Airport
- Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi – Dutse Airport
- Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo – Ebonyi Airport
- Brigadier Zakari Maimalari – Gombe Airport
- Samuel Ladoke Akintola – Ibadan Airport
- Gen. Tunde Idiagbon – Ilorin Airport
- Hassan Usman Katsina – Kaduna Airport
- Gen. Muhammadu Buhari – Maiduguri Airport
- Joseph Sarwuan Tarka – Makurdi Airport
- Mallam Abubakar Imam – Minna Airport
- Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio – Nasarawa Airport
- Alfred Diete Spiff – Osubi Airport
- Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo – Port Harcourt Airport
- Lamido Aliyu Mustapha – Yola Airport