President Bola Tinubu appointed Major General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja as the Chief of Army Staff, succeeding Lt-Gen Faruk Yahaya, appointed by former President Muhammadu Buhari in 2021.
- Major General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja was born on February 28, 1968, in Ilobu, Irepodun Local Government Area, Osun State.
- He attended Local Authority Teachers College Demonstration School in Osogbo from 1973 to 1979.
- He completed his secondary education at St Charles Grammar School in Osogbo from 1979 to 1984.
- In 1986, he obtained the West African School Certificate (Advanced Level) from The Polytechnic, Ibadan.
Education and Training:
- Major General Lagbaja was admitted to the Nigerian Defence Academy as a member of the 39th Regular Course on September 12, 1987.
- He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant on September 19, 1992, into the Nigerian Army Infantry Corps.
- Throughout his career, he attended various specialized courses and training programs, including Company Amphibious Operations Course, Young Officers’ Course (Infantry), Basic Airborne Course, Advanced Airborne Course, and more.
- Major General Lagbaja has served in various command, staff, and instructional positions, contributing to the development of the Nigerian Army.
- He has held roles such as Platoon Commander in 93 Battalion and 72 Special Forces Battalion, Instructor at the Nigerian Defence Academy, Staff Officer at Army Headquarters, Deputy Chief of Staff G1 at Headquarters 81 Division, Commanding Officer at 72 Special Forces Battalion Makurdi, and more.
- Major General Lagbaja was promoted through the ranks from Second Lieutenant in September 1987 to Major General in September 2019.
- He has been recognized with honors and awards, including Forces Service Star, Meritorious Service Star, Distinguished Service Star, Passed Staff Course (+), and more.
- Major General Lagbaja holds a BSc in Geography from the Nigerian Defence Academy and an MSc in Strategic Studies from the US Army War College.
- He has actively participated in various operations, including Operation HARMONY IV in the Bakassi Peninsula, the United Nations Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC), Operation ZAKI in Benue State, Operation LAFIYA DOLE, and more.
Marital Status and Hobbies:
- Major General Lagbaja is happily married to Mrs. Mariya Abiodun-Lagbaja, and they have two children.
- His hobbies include watching documentaries and reading biographies.