On Monday, President Bola Tinubu appointed Kayode Egbetokun, a Deputy Inspector-General of Police, as the Acting Inspector General of Police.
Egbetokun takes over from Usman Baba, who was appointed Inspector General of Police by former President Muhammadu Buhari in 2021.
Born on September 4, 1964, in the Egbado South Local Government Area of Ogun State, Egbetokun joined the Nigeria Police Force as a Cadet ASP (Course 16) on March 3, 1990.
He holds the following qualifications and degrees:
- Bachelor of Science (Honors) in Mathematics from the University of Lagos
- Master of Science in Engineering Analysis from the University of Lagos
- Certification in Electronic Data Processing and Computer Programming, all from the University of Lagos
- Master of Business Administration from the Lagos State University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Petroleum Economics from Delta State University
- Doctorate in Peace and Security Studies from Al-hikmah University, Ilorin, Kwara State
Egbetokun has attended various courses and conferences, including the Close Protection Course in the United Kingdom, Squadron Commander Combat Ops Course at PMF Training College, Advanced Detective Course at the Police Staff College in Jos, and Strategic Leadership Course at the Police Staff College in Jos.
He has also participated in international conferences, such as the Global Conference on Chemical Security and Emerging Threats held in Lyon, France 2018. He is a member of the Society for Peace and Security Practice and a Peace and Security Studies scholar.
Throughout his career, Egbetokun has served in different commands, formations, and departments of the police, including Chief Security Officer to the Governor of Lagos State from 1999 to 2005, Commander of RRS Lagos State Command from 2005 to 2007, and various roles such as Area Commander, Commissioner of Police, Commandant of Police Training School, Deputy Commandant of Police College, and more.
Currently, he holds the position of Ag. Inspector-General of Police. Egbetokun enjoys reading, playing table tennis, and recreational football outside of work. He supports Chelsea in the English Premier League and European Champions League. He is happily married and has children.