On Wednesday, Simon Ekpa, a prominent Biafra advocate and separatist, announced a weeklong stay-at-home protest to demand the immediate liberation of Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra.
Ekpa, a lawyer based in Finland and the Prime Minister of the Biafra Republic Government in Exile, revealed in a statement that the sit-at-home demonstration will occur from July 3rd to 10th, 2023.
He specified that there would be a pause on July 6th.
Ekpa justified the need for the stay-at-home protest as an urgent measure to secure Nnamdi Kanu’s release and to prepare for Biafra’s referendum.
He urged all market leaders, businesses, and individuals in the southeastern region to comply with the action.
“The Biafra Republic Government In-Exile (BRGIE) and Biafra De Facto Government-In-Homeland wish to inform Biafrans that there will be a civil disobedience sit-at-home protest starting from July 3rd, 2023, to July 10th, 2023. There will be a break on July 6th, 2023, during which all Biafran markets will remain open.
The sit-at-home action is intended for the following reasons:
- To demand the immediate and unconditional release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, who is unlawfully detained in the DSS facility.
- To prepare for Biafra’s self-referendum.
- To send a clear message to the world that Biafrans are taking charge of their future.
- To demonstrate the unwavering loyalty and adherence of the Biafra Republic Government In Exile as the sole legitimate government recognized by the Biafran people.
- To invalidate the illegitimacy of those individuals claiming to represent Nigeria within the Biafran territory.
The sit-at-home protest will be organized as follows: From Monday, July 3rd, 2023, to Wednesday, July 5th, 2023, there will be a complete lockdown in Biafraland. All Biafran markets will be open on Thursday, July 6th, 2023 (break day). From Friday, July 7th, 2023, to Monday, July 10th, 2023, there will be a total lockdown in Biafraland.
At this moment, we urge all market leaders to strictly comply with this directive and treat it with the utmost seriousness. Additionally, we call on all oil companies operating in the Biafran territory to suspend oil exploration during these dates to avoid the wrath of the Biafran people, which may result in severe consequences,” the statement concluded.